Smokey eyes are the one makeup technique that a lot of people struggle with. I often get asked about how to create a sexy, smokey eye look. I have a very simple go-to technique that anyone can master when it comes to doing smokey eyes. Read on to learn my tricks... and watch my video demo at the end!
*contains some affiliate links
1. Apply a super thin layer of eye shadow primer to the lids. At the moment I am loving Urban Decay Potion Primer . Then use a mid nude tone matte shadow to define the socket of your eye.
2. Use a gel liner to create the perfect base for your shadow. You can use any colour, black will give you the most intense look. My favourite is Illamasqua Precision Gel Liner in Infinity. Be sure to blend the colour into the crease using a fluffy blending brush, like a MyKitCo 0.3 - MY FLUFFY CONCEALER brush which is vegan friendly synthetic.
3. After applying your gel base, apply your choice of powder shadow or pigment on top. I like to use metallic or duo chrome shadows which gives a bang on trend look. The Zoeva Cocoa Blend palette has some great shades for a brown smokey eye such as Subtle Blend and Delicate Acidity. I LOVE Sample Beauty Pigment in Candycane which is an irridescent blue/bronze.
Struggling with doing your own makeup? Take the stress out of getting ready and book with us! Click here to get in touch
4. Line the eyes with a black kohl pencil and smudge it out using a small shadow or pencil brush. Charlotte Tilbury Rock n Kohl pencil in Bedroom Black is AMAZING and absolutely bulletproof once it sets.
5. Clean up the under eye area using a cotton bud dipped in your favourite micellar water. This will pick up any fallout from the shadow or pigment. Use the same method to sharpen a winged edge on your eye if desired. Follow by applying concealer.
6. Finish the look with a few coats of mascara and lashes if desired.
Products used in my video:
Brows - NYX micro brow pencil Ash brown
Eye Primer - Urban Decay Primer Potion in Eden
Eyes - Illamasqua Precision Gel Liner in Infinity Sample Beauty pigment in Glam n Glow Zoeva Offline Palette Pasithea shadow Charlotte Tilbury Rock n Kohl pencil Bedroom Black Ardell Demi Wispie Lashes Duo Waterproof Glue
Foundation - Catrice HD Liquid Coverage 010
Concealer - Catrice One Drop Coverage 010
Contour - Revolution Conceal and Define C13
Blush - Illamasqua Pure Pigment Androgen
Powder - Ben Nye Neutral Set
Bronzer - Zoeva Nude blusher palette
Lip gloss - Jouer liquid lips St Tropez
So, that is my step by step guide to creating a quick and easy smokey eye! Want more practice? Book an online makeup lesson with me via Zoom!